One of the premier programs of NCHL, the National Council on Administrative Fellowships (NCAF) is leading the way across the country to build the bridge between practice and academia. It is made up of fellowship sites and graduate health management programs that are working together to continuously improve early-career development opportunities for our next generation healthcare leaders. NCAF creates an industry standard in the recruitment for administrative fellows. In doing so, NCAF allows for a uniform and coordinated recruitment process, helps organizations access a national pipeline of the next generation of healthcare industry leaders, and brings fellowship sites and graduate health management programs together to share ideas and best practices. Herein are resources to support the students and prospective fellows who would like more information about fellowships and path to obtaining placement.
NCAF believes that the healthcare industry will benefit from better coordination across the field in the development and operation of fellowship programs. All members agree to abide by the guidelines of the NCAF Code of Good Practice, which includes upholding uniform application dates.
• A uniform application deadline: First Friday in October (Friday, October 7, 2022)
• A uniform offer acceptance date: Second Thursday in November (Thursday, November 10, 2022)
• NAFCAS Application Cycle 2 will run from the third Monday in November (November 21, 2022) through the last Monday in January (January 30, 2023) Note: Deadlines may vary for all available fellowship sites.
• Once the application closes on the first Friday in October at 11:59:59 PM ET, fellowship sites are able to make formal, written offers as they choose.
• Applicants are not required to accept any offer until the second Thursday in November Noon CT, which is the official offer acceptance day. Applicants may choose to accept, decline, or put an offer on hold. Note: Applicants may only hold one offer at a time.
• Applicants should accept or decline any offers before or on the second Thursday in November at Noon CT. Fellowships may elect to extend offers to alternate applicants for positions that have not been accepted by that time or may choose to provide the applicant with additional time to make a decision.
• If a fellowship site is extending a formal, written offer on or after the second Thursday in November, applicants must be given a minimum of 24 hours to make their decision. Again, applicants may only hold one offer at a time.
Students and prospective fellows interested in applying to a NCAF member fellowship site should utilize the the centralized application service (NAFCAS) to simplify their application process. NAFCAS is a one-stop-shop for administrative fellowship sites, applicants/students, and faculty/staff.
The NAFCAS 2022-2023 has two application cycles:
• NAFCAS Application Cycle 1 will run from the second Thursday in June (June 9, 2022) through the first Friday in October (October 7, 2022)
• NAFCAS Application Cycle 2 will run from the third Monday in (November 21, 2022) through the last Monday in January (January 30, 2023)
Review the 2022 FAQ & the 2022-2023 Application Process.
The NCAF Fellowship Directory is an inclusive listing of all NCAF-member fellowship sites. Information is updated periodically. Students and fellows will find this information helpful when exploring options for administrative fellowship opportunities. If interested in applying to these administrative fellowships, students can access the NAFCAS here.